PET FOOD CONTINUES TO POST VALUE GROWTH DESPITE VOLUME SALES DECLINE
Australian pet food continued to post growth in value sales at the end of the review period despite a decline in volume sales. With the industry’s high level of maturity, the decline in pet population and growing preference for cats and smaller breeds of dogs limiting the potential for volume growth, players focused on driving value sales.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS TRENDS CONTINUE TO IMPACT AUSTRALIA’S PET FOOD INDUSTRY
In 2018, the health and wellness trend remains strong, driven by owners increasingly looking after their pets the same way they look after themselves. Pet owners take greater interest in their pets’ health and dietary needs and players respond to this trend by launching new products with a strong health positioning.
PET FOOD IN AUSTRALIA REMAINS HIGHLY CONSOLIDATED
In 2017, the pet food industry in Australia remained very consolidated with leading players, Mars Australia Pty Ltd and Nestlé Purina PetCare Australia accounting for more than half of overall value sales in pet food. In 2017, Mars Australia ranked first in dog food and cat food, followed by Nestlé Purina PetCare Australia.
INTERNET RETAILING IS THE FASTEST GROWING CHANNEL IN 2018
In 2018, internet retailing will remain the fastest growing distribution channel for pet food products. Although the value share of pet food sold through internet retailing remained small, the channel posted strong growth driven by its appeal as a convenient shopping channel.
PREMIUMISATION WILL CONTINUE TO IMPACT GROWTH
Australia’s pet care industry is projected to post positive value growth over the forecast period, driven by consumer demand for premium pet food products. Value sales of premium cat and dog food are projected to grow, offsetting the decline in economy and mid-priced cat and dog food.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Pet Care industry in Australia with research from Euromonitor’s team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you’re in the Pet Care industry in Australia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Australia for free:
The Pet Care in Australia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Pet Care in Australia?
- What are the major brands in Australia?
- How did the downturn affect pet care spending?
- Which is the best-performing category within pet care?
- Which is the fastest-growing pet food manufacturer?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
- What are growth prospects for pet care in the next 5 years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions